Council Tax Reduction

Council Tax Reduction is a means-tested discount, to help people on a low income who pay Council Tax for their home. It replaced Council Tax Benefit on 1 April 2013.

Read our Council Tax Reduction discount scheme 2017/2018(pdf, 1479KB).

Step 1 - Check if you are eligible

You may be eligible for a Council Tax Reduction discount if you are finding it difficult to pay your Council Tax. You must live in the accommodation for which you are making an application and be responsible for paying Council Tax at that property.

If any of the following apply you may not be eligible:

  • you or your partner have capital of £16,000 or more (unless you or your partner receives a pension credit).
  • you are not the person named on the Council Tax bill
  • the property is not your main residence
  • you are not entitled to Council Tax Reduction because of your immigration status in the UK.
  • you are a full-time student in higher education, unless you are also:
    • a lone parent
    • disabled
    • under 19 and following a further (not higher) education course
    • aged 60 or over

A partner of a full time student can claim Council Tax Reduction.

Even if you can't claim Council Tax Reduction, you may still be eligible for Second Adult Rebate.

Step 2 - Find out how much you might be entitled to

The level of discount depends on the amount of Council Tax you pay, the number of people who live with you and your household's income, savings and circumstances.

If you are a pensioner or a vulnerable working-age claimant, we will take this into account when we calculate the reduction you will receive.

  • Any non dependant deduction on your claim is doubled. For more information on non dependents read our other adult information
  • Applicable amounts and premiums are frozen at 2012/13 rates
  • The maximum Council Reduction you can receive is capped at Council Tax Band E. If your property is Band F, G or H then the maximum reduction you can receive is the Band E amount and you will have to pay the difference. View the Council Tax bands and charges
  • From 1 April 2017, the maximum amount of help you can receive is 85% of the Council Tax that you are due to pay. If your Council Tax Reduction is already limited to band E then the maximum amount of help you can receive will be 85% of that amount

Step 3 - Make a claim

If you think you qualify for this discount, please submit a claim.

Make a claim

Step 4 - Backdate your claim if needed

Sometimes we can backdate your discount for a period before you applied. More about backdating.

Step 5 - Let us know about any changes in circumstances

You must inform us if your circumstances change, as this may affect the amount of discount you are entitled to.

Step 6 - Appeal our decision, if you don't agree with it

Depending on the outcome of your application, you may want to appeal. More about the appeals process.

Updated: 12 May 2017