Green Homes Grant

About the Green Homes Grant

The Green Homes Grant is a scheme for homeowners and landlords in England to support the installation of energy efficient and low-carbon heating improvements to their homes. This could help save up to £600 a year on energy bills and make homes warmer and more comfortable for the people living in them.

The main Government scheme is available to all homeowners and landlords, who can apply for a voucher. Further information on this scheme is available on the Simple Energy Advice website.

Green Homes Grant Local Authority Delivery Scheme

On top of the main Government scheme, Richmond has successfully bid for funding from the Government to provide support with energy efficiency and low-carbon heating to low income households in the most energy-inefficient homes. To be eligible, households must:

  • Have a household income of £30,000 or less
  • Live in a property with an EPC rating of E, F or G (the three lowest ratings)

Both homeowners and landlords are eligible to apply for the scheme. In the case of a tenanted property, the household income requirement relates to the income of the household living in the property, and not the landlord’s income.

We are writing directly to households who we believe may be eligible. However, we would also encourage anyone who believes they are eligible to contact us directly rather than wait to be contacted.

Please find out more below using our frequently asked questions. If you believe you may be eligible, please contact us at:

Frequently asked questions

What kind of measures could I get with the scheme?

Any energy efficiency and heating measures compatible with the Standard Assessment Procedure (SAP) that will help improve E, F or G rated homes are eligible. This could include, for example, air or ground source heat pumps, insulation, double glazing and solar panels. The exception is fossil fuel heating systems such as gas boilers (whether installed as new or as repairs to existing systems) which are not eligible. 

Do I have to contribute any money to take part?

If you are an owner occupier, you do not need to contribute any funding. If you are a landlord, you will need to contribute a minimum of one third of the costs.

Government guidance states that funding to owner occupied eligible households should cover the full cost of upgrading a home and they do not expect the average cost of upgrades to exceed £10,000 per property.

Where a property is tenanted, the Government guidance is that they do not expect the subsidy to exceed £5,000 on average per household.


Owner occupier
Total cost of measures  £5,000 £7,500 £10,000
Amount covered by Green Homes Grant £5,000 £7,500 £10,000
Amount payable by owner occupier  £0 £0 £0
Total cost of measures  £5,000 £7,500 £10,000
Amount covered by Green Homes Grant £3,334 £5,000 £5,000
Amount payable by landlord £1,667 £2,500 £5,000

Who carries out the work?

The works are managed by our main partner, South West London based RetrofitWorks. They will be your main point of contact throughout the works and will carry out the first and final assessments of your property. They will also arrange for accredited installers to carry out the works.

How disruptive will the works be?

This will depend on the nature of the work recommended. Some measures are quick to install and will not be very disruptive, others may require a deeper level of works. The nature of works will always be discussed in advance with the homeowner/landlord as part of the whole house plan. Ultimately, whilst there may be some disruption for a short period of time, the works should save on your energy bills and make your home more comfortable.

If I am a tenant, how can I take part?

The scheme requires the permission of the homeowner or landlord. If you are a tenant, please do let your landlord know about the scheme and ask them to get in touch with us to discuss whether they would like to take part.

How long will the works take?

The length of the works will depend on the measures that your retrofit assessor determines could be suitable for the property. When producing a whole house plan, your retrofit will assessor explain the recommended works, the costs and the length of time these works could take.

Why have you written to me?

We are writing to residents that we think might be eligible. This is based on several different sources of information, including average household income at postcode level and known EPC ratings. This does not mean you have to take part, but we are writing to you because we believe you may be eligible and could benefit from this funding.

Receiving a letter does not guarantee that you are eligible, as eligibility is based on your specific household income and EPC rating. We do not know your household income, and your EPC rating could have changed since an assessment was last carried out.

There are also some households who will be eligible but who we may not have written to. For example, if a household has not had an EPC assessment carried out, we will not know that they live in an energy-inefficient property. If you think you may be eligible, please do write to us at

How will you check my household income?

We will need to check your household income before you can receive funding from the scheme. There are several ways in which we can verify your income:

If you are in receipt of Council Tax Reduction or Housing Benefit, with your consent we can cross check our existing records to verify your income.

If you are in receipt of another means tested benefit such as Universal Credit, we will not have direct access to records about this. However, we may be able to verify your income if you send us a copy of your award letter.

If you are not in receipt of any means tested benefit or cannot provide evidence to prove that you are (such as an award letter) then we can verify your income based on documents that you provide to us. Please contact us to discuss what kind of evidence you can provide. 

I do not know what my EPC rating is, how can I check?

If you do not know the EPC rating of your property you can check this online. Please select the option ‘Retrieve Report Using Property Address’ on the left side of the page.

If your property cannot be found on the website, it is likely your property does not have an EPC rating. This is common where a property has not been sold or let in recent years.

My home does not have an EPC rating, can I take part?

If your home has not been let or sold recently, it may not have an EPC rating. The EPC rating for a property can also be out of date if changes have been made to the property since it was last assessed.

You may still be able to take part if your property does not have an EPC. Because of limited funding, we will need to carry out modelling to tell us if your home is likely to be EPC E or below. If we believe it is likely to be EPC E or below and we have verified your household income is £30,000 or less, we will refer you to our partner organisation, RetrofitWorks for a full EPC assessment.

How are my details protected?

Please refer to our online privacy notice in the first instance. We will ask for your consent to share your information when you complete our application form. Information would be shared with consent with our partner organisation RetrofitWorks to arrange for a whole house assessment and plan, with their accredited installers to enable works to be carried out and with the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy when they are evaluating the impact of the scheme.

I am an installer and would like to get involved in delivery of the scheme, how can I do so?

Please contact our main partner for the delivery of the scheme – RetrofitWorks. Please note that in line with the Government guidance for the scheme, all installers must be TrustMark registered. Contractors/installers need either MCS or PAS 2030.

What happens if COVID-19 restrictions affect works?

We will work with you and in line with Government guidance to carry out works safely.

Government guidance is that those working in sectors that cannot work from home, such as retrofit installers, should continue to go to work, to keep the country operating and to support these vital sectors.

Nonetheless, we recognise that you may have concerns about installers entering your home at this time. The risk of transmission can be substantially reduced if COVID-secure guidelines are followed closely. Retrofit assessors and installers will follow the specific guidance on working in other people’s homes at all times.

Where it is not possible to carry out works safely in line with this guidance, we will discuss with you and with the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy whether the works can be postponed to a later date.

Updated: 23 November 2020