Information for EU residents

On 15 December 2017, the UK and the EU Commission made an agreement on citizens’ rights.

EU Settlement Scheme

If you are an EU citizen who arrived in the UK before 31 December 2020 and want to stay in the UK beyond 30 June 2021, you and your family members will need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme.

The Home Office has produced guidance providing an overview of how the EU Settlement Scheme will work.

The EU Settlement Scheme will allow you and your family to continue to live, study and work in the UK. It means you will continue to be eligible for:

  • Public services, such as healthcare and schools
  • Public funds and pensions
  • British citizenship, if you meet the requirements and want to apply

Who is eligible

You need to be an EU citizen or a non-EU family member of an EU citizen. You will not need to apply if you are an Irish citizen.

You need to be a resident in the UK by 31 December 2020. If you have been a resident in the UK for more than five continuous years when you apply, you will be eligible for settled status. If you have been a resident for less than five years when you apply, you will be eligible for pre-settled status.

You must not be a serious or persistent criminal, or a threat to national security.

Family members

The EU Settlement Scheme covers all EU citizens living in the UK and their family members. Family members do not need to be from the EU; they can come from anywhere in the world (referred to as non-EU citizen family members).

Non-EU family members living in the UK by 31 December 2020 are eligible to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme. Your close family members that are not living in the UK by 31 December 2020 will be able to join you in the UK at any point in the future, as long as the relationship still exists. Children born or adopted after 31 December 2020, and future dependants, will also have their rights protected.

How to apply

To apply to the EU Settlement Scheme, you will need to complete a short online application form. In line with the draft Withdrawal Agreement, you  are currently able to apply until Sunday 30 June 2021 and your rights will remain unchanged until then. 

You will need to provide basic information such as your name, date of birth, contact details and nationality. As part of this process, you will need to provide proof of identity and residence.

Apply now

Download the app

The process to verify your identity and residence will require applicants to download an app onto a compatible Android or iPhone (8 or above), or tablet. Please see the below guide for information on how you can complete this process yourself at home. If you do not have a compatible phone or tablet, we can help

How to provide proof of identity

If you have an Android, iPhone 8 or newer model phone or tablet, you can use the EU Exit: ID Document Check app to verify your identity if you have a biometric passport or biometric EU national identity card.

The app will:

  • Check that your identity document is genuine
  • Verify that the document belongs to you

You must use either:

  • Your biometric passport from an EU country, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland
  • Your UK residence card with a biometric chip if you’re the non-EU family member of an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen

You will also need to provide a photo of your face. You can take a photo through the app or upload one as part of the online application form.

If you do not have a biometric identity document, or if you prefer, you can send your identity document to the Home Office in the post.

How to provide proof of residence

You can prove your residence by providing your National Insurance number, if you have one. Other documentation may be used or required to show proof of residence. You can upload these to your online application. A list of suggested evidence that is accepted can be found on GOV.UK.

If you are unable to use the app for the verification process

If your mobile phone or other device isn’t compatible, you can make an appointment to bring your ID document to the Council, where it can be scanned and verified for you. You will then be able to make an application for pre-settled or settled status.

See the information here on how to make an appointment with our Register Office Team to have your identification verified. Please make sure you bring all the correct documentation to the meeting. 

Please note that the EU Settlement Service is free for council staff and residents of the district of Richmond upon Thames (proof of residence required at the time of your appointment). Council staff are required to present their staff badge. This free service is not extended to staff family members. For non-residents there is a fee of £14.

Criminality check

You will be asked to declare any criminal convictions. Only serious or persistent criminality will affect your application. This will not affect the vast majority of EU citizens and their family members.


Subject to the application checks, you will be granted settled or pre-settled status, depending on how long you have lived here. In most cases your new immigration status will be granted within a couple of weeks. Once you receive your status, details will be provided on how to access it on GOV.UK.

More information

Visit GOV.UK to find out more about your rights, whether you qualify for settled status and a step-by-step guide to help you through the application process.

Citizens Advice Richmond

Citizens Advice Richmond has been commissioned by Richmond Council to provide a dedicated service for EU citizens in the borough.

For more information on the service and how to access it, please visit the Citizens Advice Richmond website. Citizens Advice Richmond also provides a general advice service on a range of topics.

Updated: 03 February 2020