New Tenants’ Champion to help social housing tenants to resolve ongoing complaints

Release Date: 11 June 2018

Housing Association tenants and leaseholders who need help to resolve complaints they have with their landlords can now contact the borough’s new Tenants’ Champion, Cllr Jim Millard.

Cllr Millard is the ward councillor for Hampton Wick and was elected earlier this year.

As a resident in Hampton Wick, he has spent the last four years as chair of the Addison Road Community residents’ association campaigning for the rights of local residents. As such, he is aware of the issues that can often arise for social housing tenants, including anti-social behaviour and repair issues, and on occasion the need for an extra helping hand to resolve complaints.  Also, he runs a property maintenance business, is an actor and is the father of two children attending local schools.

Cllr Millard will continue the work of his predecessors, who since the post was created in 2011 have jointly helped over 400 tenants and leaseholders.  He will work collaboratively with all ward councillors and local MPs, supporting housing association tenants who feel their problems have not been resolved through existing complaints procedures. In cases of dispute the Tenants’ Champion will act as a last resort for tenants when all other efforts to find a satisfactory resolution have failed.

Commenting on his role, Cllr Millard, said:

“As new Tenants’ Champion I am delighted to have been given this role to help residents who have unresolved issues with social housing providers.

“This is an area that I am very familiar with - I live on a housing estate and I want to assure residents that their voice will be heard when problems occur in their tenancies.

“For most housing association tenants services run well and complaints are dealt with in a timely and satisfactory manner. However, when they don’t and the complaints process is exhausted the Tenants Champion can step in and help mediate a conclusion.

“We are a listening Council and are happy to become involved with housing associations to ensure proper consideration of our residents’ issues.”

Housing Association residents who do have a complaint should still contact their landlord or ward councillors in the first instance. However, where an issue is not resolved through the housing associations complaints process the Tenants’ Champion can work with all parties to help find a resolution.

Contact the Tenants’ Champion

Notes for editors

If you are a journalist and would like further information about this press release, contact Elinor Firth on 020 8487 5159. 

Reference: P288/18

Updated: 28 June 2018