Release Date: 02 July 2020
Businesses across Richmond upon Thames are being urged to take part in a Council survey on the coronavirus pandemic.
COVID-19 has had a huge impact on our business community. Many have had to close temporarily, many have had to furlough staff, and some are at risk of closing permanently. The business survey is instrumental in understanding the true impact of the crisis on our high streets and wider businesses in the borough.
The Council will use the results of the survey to help signpost businesses to existing support measures, identify any specific local support needs, and understand what measures are needed to assist recovery from the crisis.
The information will also be helpful to the Council when speaking for Richmond upon Thames’ businesses on a regional and national level.
Responses will be treated in strictest confidence and will be anonymised for inclusion in any reports. The deadline for the survey is 19 July 2020.
The survey will ask how coronavirus has impacted business finances and models, whether there have been changes to staffing, what future plans look like, and whether business support or advice has already been received.
The survey is part of the Council’s wider response to support businesses through the pandemic. The Council has paid out 2,495 business support grants, supporting 91% of identified eligible businesses. The remaining 9% of potentially eligible businesses are encouraged to engage with the Council and claim a business support grant. It has also applied £47 million worth of business rates reliefs, launched the Discretionary Business Grant and for the first three months of the pandemic suspended enforcement of all types of debt.
On Friday 26 June, the Council held a remote conference with local business leaders to discuss the situation in the borough’s town centres. The key outcome was the Shop Local Richmond campaign, which will launch shortly and will encourage residents to help small businesses recover and thrive.
Cllr Richard Baker, Lead Member for Business, said:
“The business survey is crucial in getting a detailed and comprehensive understanding of the local situation so that the Council and business community can work together in the COVID-19 response.
“We are in an unprecedented and dynamic situation, and information can often be difficult to come by, so the survey really is a great way to help improve our understanding.”
If you are a journalist and would like further information about this press release, contact Fenna Maynard on 020 8487 5182.
Updated: 30 July 2020