My Account

Government introduce voter ID requirement

5 January 2023

From May, the UK government will require voters to show photo ID at the polling station.

This new requirement will be enforced for the first time in England at the local elections on Thursday 4 May 2023. Note there are no local elections currently scheduled for 2023 in Richmond upon Thames.

The requirement applies to all local elections and referendums.

The requirement for voter ID to be provided at UK Parliamentary General elections will only take effect for polls after 5 October 2023.

Which forms of ID can I use to vote?

The following forms of photo ID are acceptable:

  • Passport issued by the UK, any Channel Islands, the Isle of Man, A British Overseas Territory, an EEA state or a Commonwealth country
  • Driving licence issued by the UK, any Channel Islands, the Isle of Man or an EEA state
  • Biometric immigration document
  • Identity card bearing Proof of Age Standards Scheme hologram (a PASS card)
  • Ministry of Defence Form 90 (Defence Identity Card)
  • Blue Badge
  • National Identity Card issued by an EEA state
  • Older Person's Bus Pass
  • Disabled Person's Bus Pass
  • Oyster 60+ Card
  • Freedom Pass

Expired photographic identification documents can still be used as accepted photographic ID at the polling station, as long as the photograph is still a good likeness of the elector.

If you would like more information on which forms of photo ID will be accepted, visit The Electoral Commission or call their helpline on 0800 328 0280.

What to do if you do not have an accepted form of photo ID

If you do not have the appropriate photo ID you will be able to apply for a VAC from the Voter Authority Certificate Service from early in 2023.

The Voter Authority Certificate cannot be used as proof of identity for any other purpose than for voting.

Alternatively, you can complete a paper application form and send this to the electoral services team at:

Electoral Services
York House Stable Block
Richmond Road

Before you request a paper application, you must be registered to vote or have made an application to register to vote. You can either register online or we can send a voter registration form with the Voter Authority Certificate application.

You must also provide a suitable photograph with your application. If you require any help with applying for a Voter Authority Certificate or want to request an application form, contact

Find out more

If you have any questions or would like to find out more, visit The Electoral Commission, or call their helpline on 0800 328 0280.

Share this

Up to: January 2023

Updated: 9 January 2023

Stay up to date! Make sure you subscribe to our email updates.