Green Homes Grant Local Authority Delivery Scheme FAQs

Find out more about the Green Homes Grant Local Authority scheme to provide support with energy efficiency and low-carbon heating to low income households in the most energy-inefficient homes.

Check if you can apply

I am a tenant, how can I take part?

The scheme requires the permission of the homeowner or landlord. If you are a tenant, please let your landlord know about the scheme and ask them to consider whether they would like to take part.

I am a homeowner of a leasehold property; can I still apply to the scheme?

Yes, you can still apply. However, the type of measures you can have installed will depend on the terms of your lease agreement and we suggest you read through your lease agreement first. It may be that some measures can be installed (these are likely to be internal measures), but some others (likely to be external) will depend on whether your freeholder is willing to give consent.

I would like to apply on behalf of someone for who I have Lasting Power of Attorney. What information will you require from me?

You will need to submit a copy of your ID (passport/driving licence) and a copy of documentation advising that you have Lasting Power of Attorney for Property and Financial Matters. We cannot accept an application where Lasting Power of Attorney is for Health and Welfare only.

How the work is carried out

How disruptive will the works be?

This will depend on the nature of the work recommended. Some measures are quick to install and will not be very disruptive, others may require a deeper level of works. The nature of works will always be discussed in advance with the homeowner/landlord as part of the whole house plan. Ultimately, whilst there may be some disruption for a short period of time, the works should save on your energy bills and make your home more comfortable.

How long will the works take?

The length of the works will depend on the measures are recommended for your property. When producing a whole house plan, your retrofit will assessor explain the recommended works, the costs and the length of time these works could take.

Are there measures not included?

Gas boiler repairs and replacement are not part of the scheme, however other schemes may be able to help. During your home survey all alternatives will be discussed with you and you will be advised if other schemes, such as ECO are able to assist. Existing double-paned windows may not be replaced, however single-paned windows are eligible for replacement with double or triple paned glass or secondary glazing.

How will quality be guaranteed?

All installers and contractors for the GHG: LAD scheme are TrustMark and MCS registered.

Your EPC rating

I do not know what my EPC rating is, how can I check?

If you do not know the EPC rating of your property you can check this online. Please select the option ‘Retrieve Report Using Property Address’ on the left side of the page.

If your property cannot be found on the website, it is likely your property does not have an EPC rating. This is common where a property has not been sold or let in recent years.

Other help

My landlord has said they do not wish to participate in the scheme. I am living in a cold property. What can I do?

Unfortunately, this scheme does require the permission of your landlord, and they would need to contribute a minimum of 1/3 of the total costs of the work. Therefore, if they do decide they do not wish to participate, you will not be able to take part. If your landlord is undecided about the scheme, please encourage them to speak to us.

If your landlord does not wish to participate, you may qualify for support through our Winter Warmth service.

Our winter health pages offer further guidance on how to keep warm at home.

Please note that since 1 April 2020, landlords can no longer let or continue to let properties covered by the MEES Regulations if they have an EPC rating below D, unless they have a valid exemption in place. Read more information on the MEES regulations (GOV.UK website).

If you are a private tenant in a property covered by the MEES regulations and the EPC rating for your property is an F or a G, or if your privately rented property is rated E or above and you believe it is excessively cold, please get in touch with us.

Updated: 25 August 2021

Stay up to date! Make sure you subscribe to our climate change email updates.