Unoccupied property rating
Empty properties with a rateable value of less than £2,900 are exempt from empty property rates for the financial year 1 April 2017 to 31 March 2018. Properties in excess of this figure will be subject to the normal rules.
How it works
You will not have to pay Business Rates in the first three months that a property is empty and in certain industrial properties this can be extended to six months. After this period, Business Rates are then payable in full.
In most cases the unoccupied property rate for buildings that are owned by charities or Community Amateur Sports Clubs will be zero.
Properties that are exempt from the Unoccupied Property Rates are:
- Property unoccupied for a period of less than three months
- Property where the law prohibits occupation
- Property that is kept vacant by reason of action taken by the Crown, or any local authority or public body
- Listed Buildings
- Ancient Monuments
- Properties with a Rateable Value less than £2,900
- Property for which the person entitled to possession does so as a personal representative of a deceased person, a liquidator or trustee or where the owner is subject to bankruptcy proceedings
Contact Business Rates
London Borough of Richmond upon Thames
Business Rates Service
PO Box 72390
We welcome both positive and negative customer feedback on the services we provide. If you wish to provide feedback please do so using our online feedback form.
Up to: Business Rates
Updated: 09 November 2020