Community Safety Partnership
A to Z help guide

If you have an urgent query which is not answered by these pages, please let us know so that we can add the information in future.

24 hour advice and help is available for some issues such as domestic abuse, hate crime, human trafficking(pdf, 86KB) or suspected terrorist activity.

You can also ring the Police non-emergency number 101 for advice.

If you think that a crime is happening, someone suspected of a crime is nearby, someone is injured, being threatened or in danger then call 999.

Abandoned vehicles: You can report vehicles that you suspect are abandoned by using our online report form. You can report untaxed vehicles to the DVLA by using the DVLA form.

Alleygating: Information is available for residents wanting to gate alleys to reduce burglary risk or anti-social behaviour.

Anti-social behaviour: is defined in the legislation as "any act that causes or is likely to cause harassment, alarm and distress to one or more persons not of the same household." Please check the headings below to see if your query is covered. If not, you can report other kinds of ASB to the Community Safety Partnership or the Police.

Bogus Callers: may try to scam you by phone, email or in person at the door. If you suspect you have been targeted, report it to Action Fraud or the Police. Unless it's an emergency, please use the 101 Met Police non-emergency number.

CCTV cameras.

Crime prevention advice: is on the Operation Lockout page or can be obtained at a Street Briefing or Police Surgery organised by your Safer Neighbourhood Team.

Distraction burglary: see Bogus Callers.

Dog fouling: Most public space in the borough is covered by Dog Control Orders, which allow authorised Council Officers to issue an £80 Fixed Penalty Notice to dog walkers they witness not clearing up their dog’s mess. The Officers can work with the public and Police to target problem areas for enforcement.

Firework Safety and the law: 7am to 11pm are the normal, legal hours you can let off fireworks. This time slot is extended until midnight on Bonfire Night and until 1am for New Year’s Eve, Diwali and Chinese New Year. Fireworks set off outside these hours can be reported to the Police.

Fly-tipping, graffiti and litter can all be reported to the Council, who will investigate if appropriate. The Council is only responsible for rubbish and litter removal on public land.

Licensed premises: If you are experiencing a problem caused by a pub, hotel, restaurant or take-away, contact our Licensing Team, but if the problem relates to noise or nuisance from the premises, then please contact Commercial Environmental Health.

Noise from domestic premises.

Parking illegally: can be reported to the Parking Enforcement Line on 020 8744 0462 (Monday to Saturday 7am to 7pm) or if it is on a Red Route to the Police using the 101 number.

Personal safety advice.

Safer Neighbourhood police teams: can often help with your issue. Each of the 18 wards in Richmond borough has its own dedicated team.


Speeding and speed limits: Responsibility is shared between the Council, Police and Transport for London (TfL). Generally speaking, the Council is responsible for setting speed limits on most roads whilst the Police can detect and prosecute motorists breaking the speed limit. TfL oversee major roads. The Council also monitor speeding in order to make decisions about traffic calming projects needed.

Contact the Community Safety Partnership (CSP)

Community Safety Partnership
3rd Floor Civic Centre
Twickenham TW1 3BZ
Telephone: 020 8891 7777

The Community Safety team’s phone and mailbox are monitored during normal office hours. For assistance at other times, please check the information above.

Updated: 26 July 2018