Anti-social behaviour

Anti-social behaviour (ASB) can affect people in different ways. Find out how we tackle cases of anti-social behaviour in the borough.

Report anti-social behaviour

What is anti-social behaviour (ASB)?

Anti-social behaviour is defined in law* as: ‘behaviour which causes or is likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress to one or more people who are not in the same household as the perpetrator’.

The term covers behaviour ranging from nuisance (such as noise, litter and graffiti) to intimidation, abuse, threats and violence. In all its forms anti-social behaviour can have a serious and disruptive effect on residents and their communities.

*The Anti-Social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act 2014 and Crime and Disorder Act 1998

Anti-social behaviour: Our role

In most cases we do not deal directly with the public, but work with the police and other agencies to address high risk problem behaviour. We liaise with Councillors, MPs, community groups and partners to advise on best practice and ensure that cases are dealt with fairly and effectively through use of the ‘Community Trigger’.

Reporting anti-social behaviour (ASB)

Each person’s experience is different, but living with ASB can be isolating, disempowering and have a direct effect on your health. It’s easy to lose sight of the part you have to play, but the following steps offer some basic approaches you can take.

First steps

In some cases, such as noise  it may be enough simply to speak calmly with whoever is causing the problem, (they may not know), but recording incidents is important. Events can easily merge, so recording what happened, who was involved, when, where and how you were affected really helps to show the impact of the problem.

Reporting noise: our Neighbour Nuisance Officer can advise you about excessive noise on 020 8891 7737 and also offer a weekend out of hours service on Friday and Saturday nights from 10pm to 3am, on 07944 038 495.

For commercial noise, like problems from pubs and clubs, please contact the Commercial Team on 020 8891 7994.

Talk to your housing provider. If you are a tenant with a housing association your housing officer or advisor can help; and for private tenancies your landlord or agent may also be able to assist.

Consider mediation. Mediation is one of the most effective ways of resolving neighbour disputes. It is an important first step that shows that both parties are willing to move forward. We can help to arrange mediation for those involved, so we expect residents to consider this step carefully before contacting us.

Talk to your local Police Safer Neighbourhood Team.

Dialling 101 guarantees that your issue is dealt with by a police team in your area. But, in an emergency (if you are in danger or a crime is taking place) always dial 999.

Online reporting

You can report anti-social behaviour or hate crime using our online form.

The information you give will be treated in confidence and you can choose to remain anonymous, but this will limit the service we provide - we won’t be able to let you know what we are doing, or ask for more detail to deal with your problem.

Report online

Other services that may help

Staying resilient is key to dealing with problems effectively, so understanding how problems affect you can really help.

Our partners at the Richmond Wellbeing Service have real expertise in helping to manage stress, anxiety, trauma, or depression, while Victim Support will act on your behalf where a crime has been committed, ensuring that your voice is heard.

Inconsiderate behaviour in Town Centres and after events

Controlled Drinking Zones

Community Safety Partnership currently employs Controlled Drinking Zones to deal with alcohol-related behaviour in the town centres. In the Zones, Police can ask people to stop drinking or confiscate alcohol. The document below explains more about the Controlled Drinking Zones and includes a list of streets affected in Richmond and Twickenham.

Find out more about the Controlled Drinking Zones in Richmond and Twickenham(pdf, 434KB) and the streets affected.

Public Spaces Protection Orders (PSPOs)

As of 16 October 2017, all parks and open spaces are controlled by Public Spaces Protection Orders (PSPOs). These orders impose various restrictions to dog control and other activities in our parks and open spaces.

Find out more about parks and open spaces PSPOs.

PSPO around Rosslyn Road BPAS Clinic comes into force

As of 1 April 2019, Rosslyn Rd, Ravensbourne Rd, Riverdale Rd, Ellesmere Rd, Arlington Road and parts of St Margarets Rd and Richmond Road are controlled by a Public Spaces Protection Orders (PSPO).

This PSPO order (pdf, 224 KB) impose various restrictions to the following activities around the BPAS Clinic in Rosslyn Road:

  • Protesting, namely engaging in any act of approval or disapproval or attempted act of approval or disapproval, with respect to issues related to abortion services, by any means, including, without limitation, graphic, verbal or written means, and including, for the avoidance of doubt, any form of counselling or interaction with residents or BPAS clients on the street;
  • Interfering or attempting to interfere, whether verbally or physically, with a BPAS client or member of staff;
  • Intimidating or harassing, or attempting to intimidate or harass, a BPAS client or a member of staff;
  • Recording or photographing a BPAS client or member of staff of the clinic whilst they are in the buffer zone; or
  • Displaying any text or images relating directly or indirectly to the termination of pregnancy.

A person found to be in breach of the PSPO by a police officer will be liable to a fine of up to £80.


The Community Safety team’s phone and mailbox are monitored during normal office hours. For assistance at other times, please check the CSP A to Z help guide.

Community Safety Team
Civic Centre, 3rd Floor
44 York Street
Twickenham. TW1 3BZ

Telephone: 020 8891 7777

Updated: 13 August 2019