Council Tax discounts
Council Tax is based on at least two adults living in a property. If you live alone you can claim a discount.
People in certain categories may also qualify for a discount even if more than one adult lives in the property.
If you are given a discount, we will send you a review form every year to reapply for it. If you receive a review form please do not fill out a new application.
Please let us know within 21 days about any changes that might affect your eligibility.
Complete a Council Tax review Tell us about a change in circumstances
People with disabilities
- Full time students
- Foreign language assistants
- Student nurses
- Youth training trainees
- Non-British spouse or dependant of a student
- Diplomats and their dependants
- International Defence Organisations
- Visiting forces and their dependants
- People in care or nursing homes
- People in detention
- People in hostels
- Members of a religious community
- People moved permanently to hospital
- People over 18 for whom child benefit is still paid
- School leavers
- People living in a property as a condition of their employment
- Annex occupied together with another property
Got a question?
Web chat available Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm
Up to: Council Tax
Updated: 01 November 2022