My Account

Apply for a diplomat and dependants Council Tax discount

You may qualify for a Council Tax discount if a diplomat lives in your home.

About the discount

To be counted as a diplomat for Council Tax purposes, you must:

  • be a diplomat or a dependant of a diplomat, or
  • have diplomatic privileges and immunities, and
  • not be British.

If all the people liable for Council Tax fall into this category the property is exempt, even if there are other residents who are not diplomats. Apply for a diplomat and dependants exemption.

If a diplomat is resident in a property but is not the liable person for Council Tax, he or she is disregarded when Council Tax is calculated. After the disregards have been applied and there is only one person left, the charge is discounted by 25%. If everyone is disregarded for Council Tax then the charge is discounted by 50%.

Exemptions and discounts are not automatically given. We will always check with the Foreign Commonwealth Office to confirm applicants’ diplomatic status.

You will need

  • Your Council Tax account number

Before you start

This form is for new applications only.

Do not complete this form if you:

Your personal information provided on this form will be used in accordance with the Council’s Personal Information Policy.  

What happens next

We will either reduce the bill or let you know why we have not been able to do so.

If we need more information we will contact you.

Start my application

Medium - This form usually takes a few minutes to complete

Updated: 15 July 2020

Stay up to date! Make sure you subscribe to our email updates.