Apply for a severe mental impairment Council Tax discount
You may qualify for a Council Tax discount if somebody with a severe mental impairment lives in your home.
About the discount
People are disregarded for Council Tax purposes if they have ‘a severe impairment of intelligence and social functioning (however caused) which appears to be permanent’.
They must also be entitled to at least one of the following benefits, or would have been entitled if they had not reached pensionable age:
- Incapacity benefit
- Attendance allowance
- Severe disablement allowance
- The daily living component of a Personal independent payment (PIP) paid at any rate
- The care component of a disability living allowance paid at the highest or middle rate
- An increase in the rate of disablement pension (where constant attendance is needed)
- Disability working allowance
- An unemployability supplement
- Constant attendance allowance with disablement benefit or war disablement pension
- An unemployability allowance
- Income support which includes a disability premium, or
- Their partner is receiving jobseeker’s allowance which includes a premium to make up for losing one of the above benefits
If everyone who lives in the property has severe mental problems, you may not need to pay anything. In this case, please apply for a severe mental impairment exemption.
You will need
- Your Council Tax account number
- Proof that the person is entitled to one or more of the benefits listed, such as a copy of a letter from the Benefits Agency giving the first day of entitlement
Before you start
This form is for new applications only.
Do not complete this form if you:
- Already receive this discount - please reapply when you receive a review letter
- Want to tell us about a change to your circumstances
Your personal information provided on this form will be used in accordance with the Council’s Personal Information Policy.
What happens next
We will contact the person’s doctor to ask for a certificate to confirm that they have severe mental problems.
If we need more information we will contact you.
We will either reduce the bill or let you know why we have not been able to do so.
Medium - This form usually takes a few minutes to complete
Up to: Council Tax discounts
Updated: 15 July 2020