My Account

Apply for a Council Tax discount for people in care or nursing homes

You may qualify for a Council Tax discount if somebody in your household is:

  • living in a care home, nursing home or mental nursing home or hostel as their main home, and
  • receiving care or treatment (or both) where they are living

About the discount

If you have left your home to live in a nursing or care home, and no one else is living in your home, you may not need to pay anything. You may be able to apply for an exemption for a property left empty by someone in a hospital, nursing or care home.

You will need

  • Your Council Tax account number

Before you start

This form is for new applications only.

Do not complete this form if you:

Your personal information provided on this form will be used in accordance with the Council’s Personal Information Policy.  

What happens next

We will either reduce the bill or let you know why we have not been able to do so.

If we need more information we will contact you.

Start my application

Medium - This form usually takes a few minutes to complete

Updated: 15 July 2020

Stay up to date! Make sure you subscribe to our email updates.