Apply for a severe mental impairment Council Tax exemption
A home is exempt from Council Tax if everyone living there has a severe mental impairment and at least one of them would otherwise be liable to pay Council Tax.
About the exemption
In addition, everyone in the property must be entitled to at least one of the following benefits, or would have been entitled if they had not reached pensionable age:
- Incapacity benefit
- Attendance allowance
- Severe disablement allowance
- The daily living component of a Personal independent payment (PIP) paid at any rate
- The care component of a disability living allowance paid at the highest or middle rate
- An increase in the rate of disablement pension (where constant attendance is needed)
- Disability working allowance
- An unemployability supplement
- Constant attendance allowance with disablement benefit or war disablement pension
- An unemployability allowance
- Income support which includes a disability premium, or
- Their partner is receiving jobseeker’s allowance which includes a premium to make up for losing one of the above benefits
We define severe mental impairment as ‘a severe impairment of intelligence and social functioning (however caused) which appears to be permanent’.
You will need
- Your Council Tax account number
- Proof that the person is entitled to one or more of the benefits listed, such as a copy of a letter from the Benefits Agency giving the first day of entitlement
- Evidence of whether power of attorney is held
Before you start
This form is for new applications only.
Do not complete this form if you:
- Already receive this discount - please reapply when you receive a review letter
- Want to tell us about a change to your circumstances
Your personal information provided on this form will be used in accordance with the Council’s Personal Information Policy.
What happens next
We will either reduce the bill or let you know why we have not been able to do so.
If we need more information we will contact you.
Medium - This form usually takes a few minutes to complete
Got a question?
Web chat available Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm
Up to: Council Tax exemptions
Updated: 25 January 2023