My Account

Apply for a Council Tax exemption for a property left empty by someone in detention

A home is exempt from Council Tax when it is unoccupied and the tenant or owner is in detention, and previously lived in the home or would live there if they were not detained.

About the exemption

People in detention are:

  • in prison, hospital or elsewhere by order of a Court, or
  • under the Mental Health Act 1983, or
  • under the Army Act 1955, the Air Force Act 1955 or the Naval Discipline Act 1957, or
  • awaiting deportation under the Immigration Act 1971.

A home is not exempt if the tenant or owner is serving a sentence for not paying fines or Council Tax.

The exemption lasts as long as the property remains empty and the tenant or owner is detained.

You must tell us about any changes that would mean the home is no longer exempt, for example if the prisoner is released, someone moves into the property, or it is sold or leased to someone else.

You will need

  • Your Council Tax account number
  • Proof of the terms under which the spouse or dependant was allowed to enter the country, e.g. a letter from the Home Office including the relevant reference numbers

Before you start

This form is for new applications only.

Do not complete this form if you:

Your personal information provided on this form will be used in accordance with the Council’s Personal Information Policy.

What happens next

We will either reduce the bill or let you know why we have not been able to do so.

If we need more information we will contact you.

Start my application

Medium - This form usually takes a few minutes to complete

Got a question?

Web chat available Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm

Updated: 25 January 2023

Stay up to date! Make sure you subscribe to our email updates.