My Account

Apply for a Council Tax exemption for a property lived in only by people under 18

A home is exempt from Council Tax if the property is only lived in by people under the age of 18.

About the exemption

The property will be exempt as long as the circumstances remain the same.

You must tell us about any changes that affect the exemption, for example if the property is sold, or someone in the household turns 18.

You will need

  • Your Council Tax account number
  • Proof that the person is entitled to one or more of the benefits listed, such as a copy of a letter from the Benefits Agency giving the first day of entitlement
  • Evidence of whether power of attorney is held

Before you start

This form is for new applications only.

Do not complete this form if you:

Your personal information provided on this form will be used in accordance with the Council’s Personal Information Policy.

What happens next

We will either reduce the bill or let you know why we have not been able to do so.

If we need more information we will contact you.

Start my application

Medium - This form usually takes a few minutes to complete

Got a question?

Web chat available Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm

Updated: 25 January 2023

Stay up to date! Make sure you subscribe to our email updates.