My Account

Apply for a Council Tax exemption for a property where occupation is prohibited by law

A home is exempt from Council Tax if it is unoccupied because by law it is not allowed to be lived in, or because of action being taken by a public body to buy it or stop anyone living in it.

About the exemption

If the home is lived in illegally, for example by squatters, it will no longer be exempt. The illegal residents will be charged Council Tax.

The property will be exempt as long as the circumstances remain the same.

You will need

  • Your Council Tax account number
  • Evidence confirming that occupation is prohibited

Before you start

This form is for new applications only.

Do not complete this form if you:

Your personal information provided on this form will be used in accordance with the Council’s Personal Information Policy.

What happens next

We will either reduce the bill or let you know why we have not been able to do so.

If we need more information we will contact you.

Start my application

Medium - This form usually takes a few minutes to complete

Got a question?

Web chat available Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm

Updated: 25 January 2023

Stay up to date! Make sure you subscribe to our email updates.