My Account

Apply for a Council Tax exemption for a property occupied by a student's non-British spouse, partner or dependant

A home is exempt from Council Tax when it is occupied by a spouse, partner or dependant of a student who is:

  • not a British Citizen, and
  • unable to work for money or claim benefits by the terms of their entry into this country.

About the exemption

A property will remain exempt if left empty during holidays, as long as the occupants will be returning to the property and continuing on the same course of education on their return. If a student finished a course, and starts a new course the following term, they will not be exempt from Council Tax liability for the interim period.

The property will be exempt as long as the circumstances remain the same.

You must tell us about any changes that may affect the exemption, such as when someone who is not a student moves in.

The information you give will only be used for the purposes of Revenues and Benefits administration.

The Council Tax Office may need to check the information given.

You will need

  • Your Council Tax account number

Before you start

This form is for new applications only.

Do not complete this form if you:

Your personal information provided on this form will be used in accordance with the Council’s Personal Information Policy.

What happens next

We will either reduce the bill or let you know why we have not been able to do so.

If we need more information we will contact you.

Start my application

Medium - This form usually takes a few minutes to complete

Got a question?

Web chat available Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm

Updated: 25 January 2023

Stay up to date! Make sure you subscribe to our email updates.