My Account

You should not send important documents by post. All documents provided should be originals.

You can use the drop off box in the Civic Centre reception, they will be scanned and send back to you in the post or you can make an appointment to bring in your documents. Please call 0208 891 1411 to make an appointment. If your documents are only received online such as bank statements, or payslips please email these documents to

Proof required:

1. Evidence of identity

Such as a birth certificate, marriage certificate, passport, National Insurance Number card, medical card, driving license, UK residence permit, EEC identity card, or recent gas or electricity bill. We may need to see several of these documents for each person.

2. Evidence of National Insurance Number

Such as a National Insurance number card, payslips or letters from the Department for Work and Pensions or HM Revenues and Customs.

3. Evidence of savings, investments and property

Such as all bank, building society or post office books, full bank statements, or certificates for Premium Bonds, National Savings Certificates, ISAs, stocks, shares and unit trusts. We need to see evidence of any interest or dividends on investments and savings. The evidence must show details for at least the last two months.

4. Evidence of earnings

  • Last five payslips if paid every week.
  • Last three payslips if paid every two weeks.
  • Last two payslips if paid every month.
  • If you do not receive payslips from your employer then we can send out a Certificate of Earnings for them to fill out and return to us.
  • If you or your partner are self-employed, we need to see accounts for the last financial year or, if you have been trading for less than six months, a summary of your trading records so far. If you are just starting a self-employed business, you will need to provide a breakdown of your predicted earnings.
  • If you are starting new employment then we will need to see the contract and then payslips as you receive them.

5. Evidence of other income

Such as pension slips from a previous employer or a letter from the court showing how much child maintenance you are getting. We need to see evidence of any money people pay you for board and lodgings.

6. Evidence of benefits, pensions and tax credits

Such as current award notices or letters from the Department for Work and Pensions confirming how much you get. If you do not have evidence, you should let us know straight away. You should not send order books through the post.

7. Evidence of private rent and tenancy

Such as a rent book, rent receipts, a tenancy agreement or a letter from your landlord. We need evidence that you have an agreement to pay rent and proof of any rent or deposit paid so far.

8. Evidence of other money paid out

Such as letters about student grants or maintenance, agreements or receipts from registered childcarers.

Contact us

Online: Make an enquiry
Telephone: 020 8891 1411


London Borough of Richmond Upon Thames
Benefits Service
PO Box 72385
SW18 9PG

To drop off any documents requested please come to the Civic Centre, 44 York Street, Twickenham, TW1 3BZ from 10am to 4pm, Monday to Friday.

Updated: 20 July 2021

Stay up to date! Make sure you subscribe to our email updates.