Whitton Road CPZ
We are carrying out a review of parking in the roads south of Twickenham Stadium (north of the A316, between approximately Marlow Crescent and Godfrey Avenue, TW2) in response to resident feedback.
This review was commissioned following complaints from residents concerning the difficulties they have finding a parking space near to their home, dangerous parking at road junctions, as well as obstruction of driveways and issues with traffic flow.
These difficulties were attributed primarily to the parking of vehicles by non-residents (all day commuters and/or short and long stay parking). Concerns were also expressed about the effect which development of the Tertiary College site could have on local parking conditions in the future.
As part of the review, we carried out a consultation with residents and businesses within the areas shown on the consultation plan (pdf, 280 KB) to ask their views on the present parking conditions including whether they would support the introduction of a new Controlled Parking Zone (CPZ), and, if so, what days and hours it should operate.
The existing Twickenham Event Day CPZ, Zone R, which only operates when there are major events at Twickenham Stadium, will remain in place irrespective of whether a CPZ is implemented.
The consultation began on Monday 17 September and ended on Monday 15 October 2018.
The consultation has now ended.
Officers base their recommendations on their own observations of parking conditions in the area. As an additional source of information, parking beat surveys are often carried out by an external survey company. These are only expected to be a snapshot of the parking conditions to establish reasonable estimates of the numbers of vehicles parked belonging to residents, visitors and non-residents.
The Whitton Road CPZ consultation results show:
- 50% (and over) of respondents in support of a CPZ in Butterfield Close, Chudleigh Road, Duke of Cambridge Close, Glebe Side, Kendrey Gardens, Marlow Crescent, Palmerston Road, Talma Gardens, Tayben Avenue, Whitton Road
- Less than 50% of respondents in favour of a CPZ in Alton Gardens, Chase Gardens, Godfrey Avenue and Kneller Road
- The most popular hours selected over the whole area were 8.30am to 6.30pm (21 per cent of respondents)
- The most popular days selected over the whole area were Monday to Friday (42 per cent of respondents)
- Implement a new CPZ in the Whitton Road area, to include Chudleigh Road, Glebe Side, Kendrey Gardens, Marlow Crescent,Palmerston Road, Talma Gardens, Tayben Avenue, Kneller Road (part) and Whitton Road (part). View plan (pdf, 585 KB)
- Operating Monday to Saturday, 8.30am to 6.30pm.
The CPZ will be implemented by way of Experimental Traffic Orders to provide a period of operational experience of the scheme and to allow representations to be made during the first six months of operation when a review will take place.
We will consult the community when producing the design of the parking bay layout.
View the decision by the Deputy Leader and Cabinet Member for Transport, Streetscene and Air Quality via the link below.
In November 2019, we consulted the community on the preliminary design of the parking bay layout.
Your comments (pdf, 86 KB) have been fully considered and have proven a useful aid in refining the design.
Implementation - Update 28 February 2020
- The Whitton Road (WR) CPZ was implemented on Monday 16 March 2020
- Warning notices were issued from Monday 16 to Saturday 28 March
- From Monday 30 March, Penalty Charge Notices were issued
- All Zone WR Resident Permits were charged from Wednesday 1 April 2020 to allow for works to be completed
For any permit enquiries, please call 020 8891 1411 or or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Event Zone R
- Zone WR resident permits are valid when both Zones WR and R are in operation.
- Zone R Resident Permits and Resident Visitor Permits are valid solely when Zone R is in operation (which includes Saturdays but only when there is a major event on at Twickenham Stadium). Zone R permits are not valid on any other Saturdays
- Zone R permits are currently free and will not be valid during and other days and times that Zone WR operates. More info can be found on our Twickenham events page
- For any permit enquiries, please call 020 8891 1411 or email email@example.com
This CPZ is being implemented by way of Experimental Traffic Management Orders to provide a period of operational experience of the scheme and monitored during the first six months of operation. We would invite you to tell us how the scheme has worked for you during this period.
Representations may be made either by:
- Letter to Head of Engineering (Traffic and Parking Policy), Civic Centre, 44 York Street, Twickenham, Middlesex, TW1 3BZ
- Email to ParkingPolicy@richmond.gov.uk
To find out more, contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 020 8891 1411.
Up to: Parking reviews
Updated: 06 October 2021