Guide to waste and recycling

You must leave your waste and recycling out before 6am on the day of collection. It will be collected on the same day each week.

Find my collection day


Where to leave items for collection

You should leave your waste and recycling ready for collection from 8pm the night before your collection day, and no later than 6am on your collection day.

If you live in a house

If you have enough space at the front boundary of your property, you should leave your waste and recycling for collection there. Make sure your bins and sacks are clearly visible from the road and not obstructing the pavement. Sacks should be tied securely (preferably not blue sacks as these may be confused with our garden recycling sacks).

If you do not have enough space at the front boundary of your property, you can put your waste on the pavement. Use sacks rather than bins and make sure they do not obstruct doorways, pavements or the public highway. Please ensure people with buggies and wheelchair users can pass safely.

Recycling containers should not be placed on the public highway as they cause an obstruction. Some properties are not eligible for kerbside recycling. These are typically flats above shops or properties without any curtilage.

If you a live in a flat

  • Blocks of flats or estates with eight or more units usually have shared communal bins for waste. Where you put your waste depends on what type of property you live in. Your managing agent/landlord or resident's association is responsible for providing appropriate bins for your property
  • Recycling wheeled bins are usually placed near the normal domestic refuse bins (or in any other suitable location approved by the managing agent and/or resident' association)

Some flats will have locked communal rubbish stores. To ensure we can collect from these stores it is best to have a code system, such as a punch pad. We cannot guarantee that waste will be collected from locked bin store areas if keys are needed for access.

Missed collections

If you think your waste or recycling collection has been missed you can report this to us online.

You must read all of the guidance before you submit your report.

Containing your rubbish and recycling

We encourage residents to recycle using the containers provided.

If you live in a house

We provide blue and black boxes for recycling as well as special containers for recycling food waste. If you do not have these already, please order your recycling containers.

Paper, card and cardboard: Please place all clean paper, card and cardboard in your blue recycling box. Larger pieces of cardboard should be broken down until they fit. Alternatively, they can be flattened, tied in a bundle (using non-nylon string) and placed next to or under your blue box. 

Plastic bottles, pots, tubs, trays, unbroken glass bottles, food tins, drink cans and empty aerosol cans: Please place all these items in your black box. All containers should be rinsed (ideally using old dish water) and be free of significant food remains. This helps to ensure that the material can be recycled, reduces costs and helps to reduce litter by discouraging scavenging animals. 

Do not over-fill your recycling boxes as it makes them difficult to carry and may result in wind blown litter and/or non-collection. If you regularly struggle to fit all your recycling in the boxes provided, please order further boxes, or purchase net covers for them to prevent items blowing out.

Food waste: Please use your small green kitchen caddy to keep all food waste (both cooked and raw) separate from other waste in your kitchen. Food waste for collection should be decanted into your large green food waste container.

Rubbish for disposal: We recommend that you purchase dustbins with clip-on lids if you have suitable external space to store them. This will keep your waste secure from scavenging animals. If you do not have space for dustbins you must present any rubbish for disposal in tied and un-split black refuse sacks. Please do not mix food waste or other easily recycled items with your rubbish for disposal.

If you live in a flat with wheeled refuse bins

Wheeled recycling bins should be available near your wheeled refuse bins or somewhere else agreed with the managing agent and/or residents' association. If there aren't any near your home, you should encourage your managing agent and/or residents' association to liaise with us to address this.

  • You should use the mixed container bins to recycle plastic bottles, clean plastic pots, tubs and trays, glass bottles, drinks cans, empty aerosol cans, clean food tins and clean aluminium foil.
  • You should use the mixed paper bins to recycle paper, card, cardboard and clean and dry food/drinks cartons (e.g. Tetra Paks)
  • We cannot collect your food waste for recycling so please try to reduce food waste and put any you do produce in with your general waste if you are unable to compost it at home.

Your recycling bin lids may be locked shut to prevent them being misused for disposing of general rubbish. However, the lids have slots for you to deposit your recyclable materials. 

If you live in a flat with eight or more units, you can request a free reusable bag for storing your recycling in your home.

Garden recycling

We offer a fortnightly garden recycling service and also sell garden sacks for occasional use. Visit garden recycling to find out how it works.

Bulky and hazardous waste

You can ask us to collect bulky waste from your home such as fridges, freezers or furniture. You can also find out how to get rid of hazardous waste or electrical items from your home.

What happens to your recycling

Everything we collect for recycling is recycled and not sent to landfill. Find out more about our recycling process.

Assisted collections

Assisted collections can help residents with a disability, illness or mobility problem, who may otherwise have difficulty leaving their household waste and recycling for collection. Your waste and recycling  will be collected from your front doorstep or another front entrance (e.g. outside the garage door) rather than the kerbside.

If you live in a house

You can contact us to arrange an assisted collection, or if you wish to cancel this service.

If you live in a flat

We do not offer assisted collections if you live in a blocks of flat with more than eight units. You should contact your managing agent/landlord (or housing association), if you need help with collecting waste and recycling from your flat.


Updated: 11 May 2018