I need help finding food or essential home items

There are several council, government and community schemes that can help with the cost of food and household items.

Please remember, if you are unable to work as a result of testing positive for Coronavirus, or have been told to self-isolate by the NHS, you might be eligible for a one-off £500 payment.

Covid-19 Hardship Fund

This is a temporary fund, made available by us, to assist households with children who have been affected by the Covid-19 situation, have had their normal income disrupted and have had to claim Universal Credit. The fund can help households by providing support with groceries in the form of supermarket vouchers.

No recourse to Public Funds Hardship Fund

We will make awards available from the Covid-19 Hardship Fund, which does not count as public funds, to Richmond residents whose income has been affected by Covid-19 and have no recourse to public funds. The fund can help households by providing support with groceries in the form of supermarket vouchers.

Free school meals

Your child may be able to get free school meals if you get any of the following:

  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Universal Credit

Find out more about free school meals

  • Call 020 8547 5448

Housing grants

This is financial help and support to help those eligible to adapt their home.

Local Assistance Scheme

For those residents in receipt of welfare benefits, there are crisis grants available to help in an emergency for household items, food and baby essentials.

Healthy Start vouchers

If you are at least 10 weeks pregnant or have a child under four years old, AND you or your family already receive income support or Universal Credit you could be eligible for this Government scheme.

Citizens Advice Richmond

RCABS provides specialist advice on a range of issues such as claiming benefits, employment issues, housing, immigration, debt, tax, advice for EU citizens etc. They offer hardship grants on behalf of other local funders and food vouchers.

The Real Junk Food Project

They turn surplus food from local retailers into delicious meals that they serve at their cafe, plus lots of surplus food to take away. Open to anyone. Pay as you feel.

Open Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 11.30am to 1.30pm at the ETNA Community Centre, 13 Rosslyn Road, TW1 2AR, and Tuesday at The Greenwood Centre 11am to 1pm.

  • Find out more about The Real Junk Food Project
  • Call ETNA Community Centre on 020 8892 3676
  • Call The Greenwood Community Centre on 020 8979 9662

Richmond AID

Specialist benefits advice for people with disabilities. Providing a Food Hub, in partnership with other local organisations over the Covid-19 period. They can also provide food vouchers and grants for food or other essential items.


Providing support for adults and children with disabilities. They are running a Food Hub in partnership with local voluntary sector organisations, a shopping service, and telephone befriending. They also provide information, advice and advocacy across all aspects affecting disabled people e.g. care and support at home, activities in the community and housing.

  • Find out more about RUILS
  • Call 020 8831 6083

The Barnes Fund

They can offer support with utility bills, such as gas, water or electricity / essential items / food vouchers. Must be in the Barnes Fund catchment area (SW13).

The Hampton Fund

Can help with fuel grants. You must also live in their area of benefit - Hampton, Hampton Hill, Hampton Wick, Teddington, Twickenham and Whitton.

Richmond Food Bank

They have five food distribution points in and near the borough and can provide three days’ nutritionally balanced emergency food for people. This service is provided by the Trussell Trust, a nationwide network helping to combat poverty and food hunger across the UK. You need a food voucher to get provisions from the Food Bank.

Updated: 13 October 2020