Product safety is one of the most important areas of responsibility for the Trading Standards Department.
- Deal with complaints about unsafe consumer products
- Sample products to ensure that they meet safety regulations
- Advise local businesses in relation to product safety law
When unsafe goods are found on sale, officers have the power to seize them or issue suspension notices, meaning they cannot be sold.
If it is warranted, we arrange for products to be tested to determine if they comply with relevant safety standards. if they do not, the matter may be brought to the attention of the retailer and/or manufacturer. Where serious breaches of the law are found, prosecution may result.
Examples of common safety problems include:
- Goods where there is a risk of an electric shock
- Flammable furniture
- Toys which present a choking hazard or have sharp edges
For all consumer enquiries, please contact the Citizens Advice consumer service.
Telephone: 03454 040506
Trading Standards business enquiries
For businesses within Richmond Borough.
44 York Street
Online enquiry form
Telephone: 020 8891 7117
Fax: 020 8891 7713
Up to: Consumer protection
Updated: 04 October 2022