My Account

Information about applying for a school place during the school year.

Moving into the borough

If you have recently moved into the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames and require a school place in for your child, you will need to complete an in-year application form.

Transferring within the borough

If your child is already attending a local school and you would like your child to transfer to another school for any reason, you should first discuss this with the Headteacher of your child’s current school. This is because a child’s education usually benefits most when they have continuity of teaching and learning in the same school.

If you still want to move your child, you will need to complete an in-year application form. You should not withdraw your child from their current school until you have secured a place at an alternative school.

Apply for school admission in the academic year 2022/23

If you are applying for an in year transfer for the academic year 2022/23, please complete the application form. If you are applying for entry in September 2022 it  may not be possible to provide an outcome for your application for a number of weeks after schools return after the summer break as vacancies must be confirmed before they can be reallocated. We will be in contact with you as soon as we can confirm a school place for your child, but be prepared that it is likely that your child may not start school at the beginning of term if they do not currently have a school place.

Brochure and forms

2022/23 admissions

Atypical admissions

The government has recently instructed all local authorities to inform parents and carers of all pupils in Year 9 about schools that are within travelling distance of the local authority area that admit pupils at the beginning of Year 10.

The government wants parents and carers to be well informed about all the options available for children of this age.

This does not mean that parents have to move their child to another school after Year 9. For the great majority of children, the school they are already attending will remain the most appropriate place for them to continue their education.

Schools which admit pupils in Year 10 are called University Technical Colleges (UTCs) or Studio Schools.


UTCs are set up by universities and businesses and specialise in 1 or 2 technical subjects. In Years 10 and 11 they offer a similar GCSE curriculum to a typical secondary school, including English and Maths, as well as their specialist subject.

Studio Schools

Studio Schools are similar to UTCs in that they have employer involvement in the curriculum and focus on developing skills needed for employment, involving personal coaching and work experience. They have a similar curriculum to a typical secondary school.

Further information

You can find further information and contact details in the list of all UTC/Studio Schools (pdf, 257 KB) in London and surrounding areas.


If you live outside the borough of Richmond upon Thames, please contact the school admissions team in your home council.

Ensure you have read all of the content on this page, as well as the relevant FAQs, before contacting the team.

The School Admissions Team
London Borough of Richmond upon Thames
Education and Children's Services

Guildhall 2
Hight Street
Kingston upon Thames


Please note: Priority will be given to queries where the information is not on the Richmond Council website or in the relevant school admissions brochure.

Updated: 01 July 2022

Stay up to date! Make sure you subscribe to our email updates.