My Account

Money: Grants and benefits

Income support available in the borough.


It’s important to make sure you get all the help you are entitled to. You may be able to claim benefits and tax credits if you are working or unemployed, sick or disabled, a parent, a young person, an older person or a veteran.

Try our online benefits calculator to find out what help you may be entitled to.

Universal Credit

Universal credit is a single payment benefit, which replaces a number of previous benefits. It is designed to help people on low-incomes or out of work with their living costs.

Discretionary Housing Payment

If you are on certain benefits you may be eligible for Discretionary Housing Payments which provide financial support to help with rent or housing costs.

Find out more about Discretionary Housing Payments (GOV.UK).

Not sure what bills to pay first?

The MoneyHelper Bill Prioritiser can help you put your bills in the right order and tell you what to do if you are struggling to pay.

Cost of Living Payments

If you receive benefits or tax credits you could be eligible for additional payments from the government.

Find out more about Cost of Living Payments (GOV.UK).

Pension Credit

Pension Credit gives you extra money to help with your living costs if you’re over State Pension age and on a low income. Pension Credit can also help with housing costs such as ground rent or service charges. You might get extra help if you’re a carer, severely disabled, or responsible for a child or young person.

Pension Credit is separate from your State Pension. You can get Pension Credit even if you have other income, savings or own your own home.

Find out more about Pension Credit (GOV.UK).

In January 2023, we wrote to residents who we deemed eligible for pension credits, but may not be claiming. View how to claim Pension Credit

Local Assistance Scheme

The Local Assistance Scheme provides payments to help residents who have nowhere else to turn in difficult circumstances.

Find out more about the Local Assistance Scheme.

Household Support Fund

Richmond AID and Citizens Advice Richmond have received Household Support Funding to distribute to low-income households who are struggling and need help and support accessing food, energy bills or other household essentials. This includes working households on a low income.

This support can be in the form of:

  • Payments and vouchers for individuals and families towards the cost of food, energy costs and essential items
  • Access to the wider advice service provided by Richmond AID and Citizens Advice Richmond to help residents maximise their household income and manage their situation, for example support around benefits or debt advice

Citizens Advice Richmond

Find out more about Citizens Advice Richmond.

Richmond AID

Find out more about Richmond AID.

Support and advice

Organisations in the borough that can provide income advice.

Citizens Advice Richmond

Citizens Advice Richmond provide specialist advice on a range of issues such as claiming benefits, employment issues, housing, immigration, debt, tax, advice for EU citizens etc. They offer hardship grants on behalf of other local funders and food vouchers.

Age UK Richmond

Age UK Richmond provide specialist welfare benefits and financial support service for older people; advising them on the types of benefits and grants available to them, support to fill out the applications and making applications on their behalf if necessary. Follow through to award to ensure best chance of success. Home visits offered, if needed.


RUILS provide support for adults and children with disabilities. They provide information, advice and advocacy across all aspects affecting disabled people, for example care and support at home, activities in the community and housing.

  • Website: RUILS
  • Telephone: 020 8831 6083

Richmond AID

Richmond AID provide support for disabled people, people with long term health conditions and carers. They can provide advice and support on issues including housing, social care, mobility, transport, education and training. They can also provide support on benefits and form filling, general money advice, including debt.

  • Opening times: Open for appointments only from 9 to 11am and 4 to 5pm Monday to Thursday, and 9am to 5pm Friday
  • Website: Richmond AID
  • Advice line: 020 8831 6070 or 020 3393 7011

Crosslight Advice

Crosslight Advice can provide specialist, holistic advice for those struggling with debt or money issues.

South West London Law Centres

South West London Law Centres (SWLLC) provides free and independent legal advice on social welfare issues, including housing, debt and benefits. This includes help with tribunal appeals.

Credit Unions

Credit Unions offer loans and savings options to their members. The following Credit Unions are open to anyone living or working in Richmond:

Support for voluntary and community sector

Grants are available to community and voluntary groups in the borough. We have a number of different funds which the sector can make applications to.

Useful money tools

View other useful online tools:

Updated: 16 April 2024

Stay up to date! Make sure you subscribe to our email updates.