Join the Clean Air Challenge!
By committing to three simple changes to everyday activities, you can make a difference to air quality in Richmond as well as to your health.
My Clean Air Challenge
The Clean Air Challenge invites residents and people working in the borough to commit to three actions to help cut air pollution and improve everyone's health.
1. Walk, cycle, scoot or take public transport instead of driving
2. Switch off your engine when you're not moving
Engine idling increases local air pollution and is a particular issue in our town centres, at level crossings and outside schools.
3. Think green for deliveries
Use a collection point rather than home delivery service and choose the green option when available, so your delivery is made by a vehicle already in your area.
Go the extra mile
Read more tips to tackle air pollution:
- Bonfires are a significant cause of pollution. Sign up for our garden recycling collection instead
- Keep wood burning stoves or fires for special occasions only and ensure you burn the correct fuel
- Make sure you are confident when cycling around the borough: book a free cycle training course
- If you're replacing your car, consider joining a car club or buy an electric car
- Become a volunteer at future idling action events and help encourage other car drivers to switch off their engine when their car is stationary
- You can also show your support by completing our online anti-idling pledge
- Have your car serviced regularly and keep tyres at the right pressure which helps minimise the number of polluting particles produced
- Make sure your boiler is serviced each year to help it burn fuel more cleanly
See further useful links to our own pages and external websites:
- Low pollution route finder - find lower pollution routes for your active travel journeys
- Bicycle and Cargo bike schemes - for residents and businesses wanting to trial or hire a bike or Cargo bike
- airTEXT alerts - a free service providing 3 day air quality forecasts by text or email
- Active travel related activities - make the school commute more fun
- Take a walk in our parks and open spaces – get some ideas for exploring or doing exercise and activities in the borough
- Liftshare - a car sharing scheme
- Electric cars - information and reviews from Next Green Car
- Greener deliveries - Search Click and Collect locations and options
- Air pollution calculator - discover ways you might be able to reduce your impact
Updated: 08 June 2022