My Account

Planning enforcement

We are committed to dealing with planning applications as quickly as possible and do not stand in the way of development without justification.

We can however apply enforcement powers when there is a failure to comply with planning regulations.

Planning enforcement policy

Our Planning Enforcement Policy explains how we investigate reports of unauthorised development, the powers we have to resolve breaches of planning control, and what the enforcement process entails.

The enforcement powers available to us can be used to establish whether a breach of planning control has taken place, what harm a breach has caused, and how we can remedy the situation.

Report an alleged breach of planning control

Before reporting an alleged breach of planning control, it is important to consider if planning permission or advertisement consent would be required. For example, some developments can take place without permission from the local planning authority.

It is also important to consider what we can and cannot investigate.

If permission is required, you can check our planning applications database to see if permission has been granted.

If permission is required and has not been granted, you can report a breach of planning control.

What we can and cannot investigate

We can investigate:

  • Development carried out without planning permission
  • Material changes in land-use
  • Breaches of a planning permission, its conditions or S106 agreement
  • Illegal advertisements
  • Unauthorised works to a listed building
  • Unauthorised works to protected trees
  • Demolition in conservation areas
  • Untidy land
  • High-hedges

We cannot investigate:

  • Party-wall disputes
  • Boundary disputes or trespass
  • Deeds and covenants
  • Neighbour disputes or the conduct of builders
  • Building Regulation issues
  • Health and safety concerns
  • Environmental issues
  • Internal works to non-listed buildings
  • Public rights of way
  • Highways obstructions
  • Dangerous structures

Development that does not require permission

Some types of development, including extensions, changes of use, and the display of advertisements can take place without permission from the local planning authority.

The following guides explain when permission is required:

Planning enforcement charges

You can request advice and information to ensure that you are compliant with planning regulations.

Advice and information requests are chargeable services at the rates shown in the table below. Payment must be made before you receive the advice or information.

Advice and information requests fees

Request type

2023/24 Charge £

Requests for confirmation of compliance with an Enforcement Notice, Breach of Condition Notice or other similar Notice under the Planning Acts 243.00
Requests to withdraw an extant Enforcement Notice, Breach of Condition Notice or other similar Notice 243.00
Planning conditions compliance check 243.00
High-hedge investigation 647.00

Set fee for research and archive retrieval of information on planning and enforcement records (discretion to charge extra fee per officer hourly rates if additional staff time is necessary)


Specific enforcement advice, meetings, information requests etc. will be charged at an officer hourly rate.

Up to: Planning

Updated: 28 November 2023

Stay up to date! Make sure you subscribe to our email updates.