After you give notice

Notice is displayed

  • After notice has been given, it is a legal requirement that the notice is displayed on the public notice board in the Register Office.
  • The law also requires a statutory waiting period of at least 30 days before a ceremony can take place in England and Wales.
  • There needs to be at least 30 days between the date of your notice appointment and the date of your ceremony. If the 30th day falls on a weekend / bank holiday, relevant paperwork should be available on the next working day; however, it may not be available until the second working day.
  • You must ensure that you leave sufficient time between giving notice and the ceremony date.
  • If you give notice at Richmond upon Thames Register Office, and are not marrying in the borough, when you attended the appointment you would have been advised that the local district where your ceremony will take place will be able to issue your paperwork, so there will be no need for you to collect any documents from us or deliver any paperwork prior to your ceremony. However, if you are being married abroad, or in a church we would have asked you to confirm if you would like to collect the certificates from the office, have the certificates posted to you, or to your minister or priest. Please note it is your responsibility to ensure the certificates are with the Registrar, Authorised Person or Religious Minister prior to the day of the wedding.

Divorce or Dissolution

  • If either of you have a divorce or dissolution that was granted outside of England and Wales it may be necessary for further investigations to be made to verify your documents, which could take some time to complete. The authorities cannot be issued until permission has been given by the General Register Office.
  • If you choose to make a booking, or any other arrangements for your ceremony, before your documents have been verified (once you have given notice), please note that neither the Register Office, nor the General Register Office, would accept liability if the ceremony could not go ahead, because it has not been possible to verify your documents.

Given Notice of Marriage outside of the Borough

  • If you are getting married in the borough and either of you have given notice elsewhere, then we will be able to issue your paperwork electronically and you will not need to collect or deliver any paperwork to us prior to your ceremony.

Given Notice of Marriage within the Borough

  • If you gave your notice(s) at Richmond upon Thames Register Office, we will have responsibility for issuing your ‘Certificate(s) for Marriage’ and therefore you will not have to collect / deliver them to us.

Given Notice of Civil Partnership

  • If you are forming a civil partnership, the district where your formation / ceremony will take place can access the ‘Civil Partnership Schedule’ after the statutory waiting period has been fulfilled. This is the legal relevant document required for a civil partnership.
  • You will not need to return to the Register Office where notice was given to collect any documents.

About the Notice

  • If you are being married, or forming a civil partnership, within England and Wales, your notice is valid for twelve months from the date notice has been given.
  • Your notice, and the certificate(s) issued will be valid for a ceremony at the venue stated, and not for any other venue. If you have to change your ceremony venue, then you must give fresh notice, pay the statutory fee and fulfil the necessary statutory waiting period again.
  • Your certificate cannot be issued until the appropriate statutory waiting period has been fulfilled. If you and your partner are giving notice on separate days, your certificate cannot be issued until they have given their notice.
  • Once your certificate has been issued, it cannot be changed or altered in any way.

Updated: 18 March 2015