My Account

Request access protection markings (H bars)

Access protection (H bar) markings can be requested to discourage cars parking over dropped kerbs, and affecting access to off-street parking.


We are able to issue a penalty charge notice to vehicles which encroach the dropped kerb and obstruct legitimate access to the off-street parking area. To receive a PCN, the vehicle would need to be parked where the dropped footway meets the carriageway. Encroachment in front of the sloping part of the kerb only would not be sufficient.

However, in some instances, a H bar marking can be requested to try to discourage this nuisance.

Whilst these markings can help maintain access for driveways as a visual deterrent, they have no validity in law and will not result in any additional enforcement at these locations.


The latest policy on these markings was approved at the Transport and Air Quality Committee in March 2020. View report (Paragraphs 5.22 and 5.23 and Appendix E, Page 3 refer).

Requests for new H bar markings

We will consider a request for a new H bar marking if the property is not situated, or unlikely to be situated in the future, within a controlled parking zone (CPZ) or other parking/traffic scheme. 

If the property is within a CPZ or parking scheme

If the affected property is situated within one of these schemes, a yellow line may be an appropriate option.  

We reserve the right to remove such markings, or not renew such markings if the affected property is situated within a CPZ or parking/traffic scheme in the future.   


These fees cover the expected officer/administration time involved in dealing with each request along with the cost of the work involved, including not being situated or not likely to be situated within a CPZ or parking scheme.  

The fees are subject to annual increases.

  • The cost for a new H bar marking is £299.80
  • The cost to renew an existing H bar marking is £89.60

How to apply

If you would like to make a request for either a new H bar marking, or to renew an existing H bar marking, please email, including the following details:

  • Your full name
  • Address
  • Email address
  • Phone number
  • Address and location of requested H bar (if different from your address)

Once your request has been approved you will receive confirmation of this and then be contacted and a card payment will be taken over the phone.

Updated: 01 April 2024

Stay up to date! Make sure you subscribe to our email updates.