National Pool Lifeguard Qualification (NPLQ)
Update on ongoing disruption
Read our update to residents on some of the current issues being faced by our Sport and Leisure team that has resulted in some facilities being closed.
The UK National Pool Lifeguard Qualification is the most awarded lifeguard qualification in the UK and Ireland that complies with the industry requirements and is supported by RLSS, ASA, ISRM and HSE.
About the qualification
This qualification is a recruitment requirement for a number of leisure jobs from Pool Lifeguard to Centre Manager. On successful completion of this course you will be fully qualified to work as a Pool Lifeguard in the UK.
These courses are held throughout the year at both Teddington Pools and Fitness Centre and Pools on the Park in Richmond.
The next courses are planned for:
- Fully booked: 27 June to 1 July 2022 - 8.30am to 6pm (5 days) at Pools on the Park
- Fully booked: 11 to 15 July 2022 - 8.30am to 6pm (5 days) at Pools on the Park
- Fully booked: 18 to 22 July 2022 - 8.30am to 6pm (5 days) at Pools on the Park
- Fully booked: 25 to 29 July 2022 - 8.30am to 6pm (5 days) at Pools on the Park
- Fully booked: 8 to 12 August 2022 - 8.30am to 6pm (5 days) at Pools on the Park
- Fully booked: 15 to 19 August 2022 - 8.30am to 6pm (5 days) at Pools on the Park
The NPLQ course comprises both physical training and theoretical classroom work, followed by a water based practical test, dry assessment on pool rescue, first aid, CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation) and lifesaving skills.
This course consists of 2 units:
- Unit 1 - The Principles of Lifesaving and Swimming Pool Supervision
- Unit 2 - The Application of Supervision and Rescue in a Swimming Pool
A qualification will only be awarded on the successful completion of both units and is valid for 2 years from the date of issue. 100% attendance is required to be able to enter the assessment.
This course includes an AED (defibrillator) training qualification.
All applicants must be 16 years or over on the last date of the course and must be able to:
- Jump/dive into deep water
- Swim 50 metres in less than 60 seconds
- Swim 100 metres continuously on front and back
- In deep water, tread water for 30 seconds
- Surface dive to the floor of the pool
- Climb out of pool unaided (without ladder/steps) where pool design permits
The course costs £275 per person (Richmond Card discount is not applicable).
Course cancellations will only be accepted in writing. More than one month’s notice will result in a full refund being given. Less than one month will result in a forfeit of the full course amount. The course may be transferred if there is a medical reason why it cannot be completed, however medical certificate proof will be required.
How to apply
Once you have checked the availability of places on the course, complete the enrolment form below and return with full payment to the centre where the course is taking place.
Telephone: 020 3772 2999
Updated: 29 June 2022