Community Heroes Awards
Our Community Heroes Awards recognise the contributions and achievements of local people working to make the borough and their local community a better place to be.
The deadline for nominations is 11.59pm on Monday 26 February 2024.
The nomination should clearly outline what the individual, group, organisation or business has done to warrant a nomination, why this should be considered as exceptional, and how they have improved the area in which they live or improved the lives of others. Please provide as much information as possible.
To submit a nomination you will need:
- Your contact details
- Contact details for your nominee
- Specific examples of why you have nominated this person
Let us know on your nomination form if you would prefer us not to share your name with your nominee.
You can also nominate someone by submitting a video or completing our paper form.
All you need to do is send us a clip of yourself, no longer than two minutes. The video should tell us:
- A little about the person/people you’re nominating
- Which category you’re nominating them for
- How they have contributed to the community
- The impact their effort has made
Videos should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you would like to submit using a paper form, please email email@example.com or phone 020 8871 7118 to find out where you can pick one up and how to submit it.
When making your nomination, please consider the following criteria:
- Individuals or groups must have worked in a voluntary capacity/be unpaid
- Work involved in the nomination must have taken place in the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames within the 2023 calendar year
- The nominee(s) does not have to be a resident of the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames, but the work they are being nominated for must have taken place in the borough
- The nominator does not have to be a resident of the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames
- An individual/group or activity may be nominated for more than one category
- Employees of Richmond Council may be nominated, but it must not be for work they complete as part of their job
- Councillors are not eligible for nomination
- Winners of 2022 Community Heroes Awards are not eligible for nomination
Our 2023 Community Heroes Awards categories are as follows:
Business contribution in the community
This award recognises local businesses that have demonstrated a significant contribution to social, educational & skills development, or environmental /sustainability work, in their community through involvement in voluntary work or charitable projects.
This award recognises a community group, charity, or organisation that has made a significant contribution to fostering equalities and inclusion in Richmond upon Thames, through local work that breaks down existing barriers and connects our communities.
Community group of the year
This award recognises the groups that exemplify what can be done to make a difference when people work together.
Community project of the year
This award recognises the projects and initiatives that have improved our borough and helped its local communities – run by individuals, groups, or voluntary organisations.
This award recognises individuals, projects, and groups that have made great strides toward tackling climate change and environmental issues.
This award recognises individuals, not in association with a group, charity, or organisation, who help to create stronger communities by supporting others to live happy, healthy lives. This could be a good neighbour, someone who gives their time to help family or friends in need, or a caregiver.
This award recognises those who have shown a long-term commitment to voluntary work and have made a significant contribution to their communities over ten or more years.
This award recognises individuals who have made a significant impact to their community volunteering with a group, charity or organisation.
Trustee of the year
This award recognises the trustee of a group or charity who has gone above and beyond in their role.
Young person achievement
This award recognises the young people (under 18 years) who inspire and drive change in their communities, and who act as role models for their peers.
Shortlisted nominees will be announced in spring 2024.
We will be contacting all those who are nominated to make sure that they are happy to be put forward. We will also be letting them know who nominated them.
The nomination is only confirmed once the nominee has given their permission to be included in the process.
The winners of our 2022 Community Heroes Awards were announced on Tuesday 25 April 2023. Read more about the shortlisted nominees and winners in 2022.
Up to: Campaigns and events
Updated: 12 January 2024