My Account

If you are an employer, self-employed or in control of work premises, you are required under RIDDOR to report some work-related accidents, diseases and dangerous occurrences.

Download the Health and Safety Executive's guide to RIDDOR.

Reporting an accident

What is RIDDOR?

RIDDOR stands for the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations, 1995.

Reporting accidents and ill-health at work is a legal requirement. The information enables the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and local authorities to identify where and how risks arise and to investigate serious accidents.

If there is an accident in your place of work you must report the following:

  • a death or major injury;
  • an over-three-day injury (that is when an employee or self-employed person has an accident at work and is unable to work for over three days, but does not have a major injury);
  • a work-related disease;
  • a dangerous occurrence (when something happens that does not result in a reportable injury, but that clearly could have done).

Who do I contact?

You can report the incident to the Incident Contact Centre:

Incident Contact Centre,
Caerphilly Business Park,
CF83 3GG

Telephone: 0845 300 9923 (8.30am to 5pm)
Fax: 0845 300 9924

You may contact us direct if your business is included in the Local Authority list of enforced premises.

Emergency 24-hour call out service

A member of the Commercial Environmental Health team is on call 24 hours a day/7 days a week to respond to major accidents, dangerous occurrences or fatalities occurring at premises where we are the enforcing authority. These should be reported to Twickenham Police Station on 020 8607 9199.

Updated: 04 March 2022

Stay up to date! Make sure you subscribe to our business support email updates.