Safety First Scheme
The Richmond upon Thames Safety First Scheme(pdf, 160KB) aims to provide a holistic approach to helping residents affected by domestic abuse and hate crime remain in their own homes and feel safe. It is also offered to vulnerable or older adults who have been victims of crimes such as distraction burglary. The scheme is available to both tenants and home-owners.
- Referral to the Police Lock Fitters team for free target hardening within 48 hours of a referral (e.g. replacement locks) for high risk victims.
- Free property survey and a recommendation for any additional security works to be carried out (e.g. better door and window locks, installation of replacement doors etc) within five working days.
- Free installation of a Careline alarm, linked to the Police control room to allow rapid response in case of future incidents with free rental for at least six months.
- Advice on personal safety from the Police Crime Prevention Officer and the option of advice from the London Fire Brigade on home fire safety.
- Referral to domestic abuse services.
In an emergency, always dial 999.
Making a referral to Safety First
Referrals to Safety First can be made using a by the following agencies:
Updated: 22 November 2019