Building Regulations explained
Building Regulations are a set of requirements laid down by Parliament to ensure that building work is carried out to approved standards including:
- The health, safety and welfare of people in and around buildings
- The conservation of fuel and energy within buildings
- Ease of access and facilities for disabled people in public and commercial buildings
- Fire safety and means of escape from buildings
The Building Regulations cover a wide range of building work from major office, shop and residential developments to small domestic works like extensions, through lounges and loft conversions.
To find out what building work must be notified to a local authority or carried out by a registered installer, visit Building work, replacements and repairs to your home (Gov.uk).
Approved Documents offer guidance on how to comply with the regulations and cover the following types of building work. Find the Approved Documents guidance (www.Gov.uk).
Section 32 of The Building Act 1984
If the work has not commenced within three years of the deposit of the plans, the Council may, by notice under Section 32 of the Building Act 1984, declare the plans to be of no effect.
If you still wish to proceed with this work a new application will have to be submitted. This application will have to be to the standards applicable at the time of deposit and will require a further fee.
More information on Building Regulations
The regulations apply throughout the country. Our qualified Building Control Surveyors and Structural Engineers will ensure that your plans comply with the Building Regulations. You will have the security of knowing that, if your builder follows the plans, then Building Work should also comply.
The Department for Communities and Local Government (DCLG) has published Building Regulations policies which you may find useful.
If you have any questions, or would like further information, please contact the Building Control Team
- Party Wall Act 1996
- The differences between Building Regulations and planning permission
- When do you need Building Regulations approval
- Works and building exempt from Building Regulations
- Building Regulations relaxation and dispensation
- Electrical works
- Competent person scheme
- Frequently asked questions
- Neighbour considerations
- Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs)
Up to: Building Control
Updated: 23 August 2022