My Account

Parts of Richmond are at risk of flooding from the rivers Crane, Beverley Brook and the River Thames.

Be prepared

You can find out if your property is in a flood zone by checking on the Environment Agency's flood pages. If you are in a flood zone you can register to receive flood warnings via their website, or telephone Floodline on 0345 988 1188 (24 hours).

In all circumstances, when a major incident occurs in the borough, your first action should be to contact the Emergency Services by telephoning 999.

Our own 24 hour Emergency Control can be contacted on 020 8871 7490.

Flood Warning Direct

The Environment Agency provides a free flood warning service to those felt to be at risk of fluvial (e.g. flooding from rivers and brooks) or tidal flooding.

Once registered, you will receive these warnings by phone, email or text message if your home or business is at risk of flooding. To sign up for this service, go to the Environment Agency’s Flood Warning Direct pages.

You can obtain up to date flooding information in your area via the Environment Agency's flood pages or by calling Floodline on 0345 9881 188 (24/7).

Flooding and insurance

It is essential that you have suitable insurance. The Association of British Insurers (ABI) provide useful flood insurance guidance for your home.

This page also has a useful document if flooding has already occurred, outlining what to expect from your insurer and the insurance recovery process.

We are unable to dispose of flood damaged/contaminated products. Removal must be arranged through your insurance company. Make sure you keep a record of all items for disposal.

Flood mapping

Using historical flood data the Environment Agency have produced maps that show Flood Zones within the borough.

Many of these zones now benefit from flood defences such as the Thames Barrier, raised embankments, weirs and sluices.

Read more about flood zones, and find out if your property falls within a flood zone.

Report instances of flooding

We are carrying out a data collection exercise to gather information on flooding. An online survey has been set up to help us work with other authorities and agencies to prepare for and manage future flood risks in the borough. 

Find out more


We prioritise those areas most at risk. If you are not in a high risk area, you should also consider measures that you can take in advance to prepare for any flooding.

You will be able to buy sandbags from your local builders merchant or DIY store, but they can be heavy and difficult to store. Plastic sacking filled with soil or sand, growbags, or specific flood protection products are recommended alternatives. The National Flood Forum 'Blue Pages' lists suppliers and manufacturers of flood defence products.

In a flooding emergency, we will prioritise delivering sandbags to vulnerable residents.

Blocked drain, culvert or gully

If the drain or culvert or gully is located on your own property, it is your responsibility to clear it.

If it is located on a red route road then it is the responsibility of Transport for London: contact TfL on 0343 222 1234 and dial option 5.

If it is on any other road it is our responsibility. You can report blocked drains and gullies online.

Further advice

Updated: 20 July 2021