My Account

Parts of Richmond are at risk of flooding from the River Crane, Beverley Brook and the River Thames.

Plan and prepare

You should check your buildings and contents insurance policy to make sure you are covered for flooding and that you have not underestimated the value of your home contents.

Know how to turn off the water, gas, and electricity, ask your supplier for advice if you are not sure, put stickers on the taps so you can see them easily. Also, move your more valuables upstairs or to another safe place above the flood line.

Further information: 

Flood plan

Make a flood plan to help you prepare for flooding, you can use the Environment Agency template flood plan.

If you live in a flat, meet with your neighbours and make a community flood plan.


As a property owner you should take reasonable measures to protect your land and property from flooding. 

If you own land adjoining, above or with a watercourse running through it, you have certain rights and responsibilities. In legal terms you are a 'riparian owner'. 

If you rent the land, you should agree with the owner who will manage these rights and responsibilities. The Environment Agency has a plan to help you understand your responsibilities. 

Front gardens 

Make sure if you are paving your garden that the material you use is permeable.

For further advice see:

Pipes and drains 

A drain is the property owner's responsibility until it connects to either someone else's drain or to a public sewer. If water fails to drain away under normal circumstances, it is the property owner’s responsibility to check for blockages. 

If your drains are blocked, you need to call a plumber or drainage engineer. Specific insurance is available for drains within the property boundary. 

If water is 'backing up' into your toilet/sink/bath or flowing out of a sewer causing flooding, contact Thames Water on 0800 316 9800. The water utility company (Thames Water) is responsible for sewers up to the property boundary or where they are shared up to the sewer which leads to the property. 

Flood resilience equipment 

Consider installing flood protection measures on your property. If you don't own the property, you will need to contact your landlord.

You can buy flood protection products and find service providers on The Blue Pages Directory. This can include simple air brick covers which can be left on, flood doors and or barriers. 

For more information:

Reporting issues 

If you are in a local authority owned property and the issue is within your property you can report this on 020 8891 7999. 

If you are a housing association or private tenant, please contact your landlord to report any issues. 

Up to: Flooding

Updated: 06 April 2023

Stay up to date! Make sure you subscribe to our email updates.