My Account

Make a Housing Benefit or Council Tax reduction claim

When you make a claim we will assess your circumstances and decide if you are eligible for Housing Benefit (HB) and Council Tax Reduction (CTR).


Housing Benefit is being replaced by Universal Credit. You should check whether you are eligible for Housing Benefit before beginning a claim.

Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction are means tested benefits. You can check your entitlement to Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction before making a claim by using a benefit calculator.

Make a claim

To make a claim, will need to provide us with information on:

  • You, your partner and others living in your home
  • Your home
  • Your earnings
  • Your pensions, benefits, allowances and tax credits
  • Your capital, savings and investments
  • Other income
  • Your outgoings

Submitting evidence

We will need proof of your circumstances in order to assess your claim. See our evidence checklist. If you don't have all the information we need at this stage, you can submit additional evidence later.

The sooner you provide any evidence required the quicker we can process your claim for benefits.


Make a claim

If you are unable to access the online form or need help to complete it, call 020 8891 1411.

By post 

You can apply by post if you prefer.

Download, print and complete our claim form(pdf, 1122KB), or contact us and we will send a copy to you.

Post your completed form to:

London Borough of Richmond Upon Thames
Benefits Service
PO Box 72385
SW18 9PG

Housing Benefit claim decision

To avoid delay in assessing your claim you should ensure that you provide all the information required. We will contact you if any further information is needed.

Once your benefit has been calculated, you will receive a Benefit Decision Notice regarding your benefit entitlement.

Find out more about your claim decision.

Backdating a claim

Sometimes we can pay Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction for a period before the date you claimed. This is called backdating.

Your claim will be considered by a benefits officer. The more information and evidence you give in support of your claim the quicker a decision can be made.

Find out more about backdating a claim.

Other adults living with you

If anyone over 18 years old (apart from a partner) lives with you, they are referred to as a 'non-dependant'. Their circumstances and gross income may affect your benefit.

More information is available about other adults living with you.

Declaring your income

We need to know details of your income and that of your partner to calculate your Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction.

The following forms of income are taken into consideration:

  • Earnings
  • Self-employed earnings
  • Pensions
  • Certain state benefits
  • Rent received from tenants or boarders
  • Tax credits

Find out how income can affect your claims.

Your savings and capital

Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction are 'means tested' benefits, so your income and savings will affect how much you get.

Find out how savings and capital could affect your benefits

Pensioners and vulnerable people

Pensioners and vulnerable people are eligible for Second Adult Rebate on their Council Tax, and are also given extra protection when Council Tax Reduction is calculated.

Find out how to qualify for a Second Adult rebate.

Updated: 16 May 2024

Stay up to date! Make sure you subscribe to our email updates.