My Account

Disabled Facilities Grants

Disabled Facilities Grants (DFGs) are used to pay for work that is needed to help a disabled person live more independently in their own home.

Who it is for

The aim of the grant is to help people who cannot afford to pay for work to adapt their homes.

The following groups can apply for a DFG:

  • A disabled person can apply if they are an owner occupier (they live in and occupy their own home) or a tenant, including a housing association tenant.
  • Anyone who is an owner occupier or a tenant, and who has a disabled person living in their home can apply on behalf of the disabled person.
  • A parent or guardian of a child with a disability can apply, if the child is under 18 years old.
  • A landlord can apply on behalf of a disabled tenant.
  • In all cases the disabled person should be registered, or eligible to be registered, as disabled with Social Services through a Care Manager.

What is available

You get a grant for essential adaptations to give you better freedom of movement into and around your home. It is also available for essential facilities in your home.

This could include work to:

  • make it easier to get into and out of your home, for example by widening doors or putting in ramps;
  • make access easier to the living room, bedroom, kitchen and bathroom for example by putting in a stair lift or a floor lift;
  • provide suitable bathroom and kitchen facilities such as over bath showers or replacing a bath with a level access shower;
  • provide suitable kitchen facilities at wheelchair height so that you can use the facilities independently, including building new facilities if necessary;
  • provide or improve a heating system in your home;
  • adapt heating or lighting controls to make them easier for you to use; or
  • improve access and movement around your home so that you can care for someone who lives with you.

How it works

You must be referred by an Occupational Therapist to be able to get a grant. To do this you must first speak to us about your needs. We will discuss how your disability, illness or impairment affects you in your everyday life. We call this an assessment.

If you are over 18

  • You should contact the Access team on 020 8891 7971 who will arrange for an Occupational Therapist (OT) to assess what work is necessary and appropriate for your individual needs.

For young people under 18

  • Please contact your child’s social worker or a children’s Occupational Therapist (OT) on 020 8831 6040 for an initial screening for eligibility.

If we think you are eligible for a Disabled Facilities Grant we will refer your case to our Home Improvement Agency (HIA).

The HIA will look at your finances and decide if you can get a grant. If you are eligible we will tell you in writing. If you are a tenant, your landlord must give permission for the works.

You must then decide if you want the HIA to carry out the works for you, or if you want to make your own arrangements for the work.

If you choose not to use the HIA, you can read our guide which explains the DFG process.


For more information on the DFG process:

Telephone: 020 8891 7436

Updated: 29 June 2023

Stay up to date! Make sure you subscribe to our email updates.