My Account

If you are finding it difficult to pay your mortgage you may be able to get help.

Support for Mortgage Interest (SMI)

This helps home owners who are receiving certain benefits. You may be able to get help towards interest payments on:

  • Your mortgage
  • Loans you have taken out for certain repairs and improvements to your home

This help is paid as part of your benefit and is called Support for Mortgage Interest (SMI).

SMI is normally paid direct to your lender. You can’t get help towards the amount you borrowed - only the interest.

More about Support for Mortgage Interest

Rent out a room in your home

You may consider letting out a room in your home to increase your income.

If you let out part of a property which is your only or main home, you may become a resident landlord. This means you will have certain rights and responsibilities.

More about resident landlords

You should seek advice about the implications of letting out a room in your home from the Citizens Advice, a Law Centre or a Solicitor.

Claiming benefits

If you have lost your job or are on a low income you may be able to claim certain benefits. Make sure to check if you are entitled to claim any benefits such as Tax Credits or Council Tax Benefit.

Updated: 11 September 2020

Stay up to date! Make sure you subscribe to our email updates.