Libraries service standards
Find out about the service standards used in all libraries in our borough.
Code of Conduct
The library Code of Conduct is designed to raise awareness of the standard of services we provide for you and the behaviour we expect in return for providing those services.
Library staff will
- Help you find the books, other library materials and information you need
- Help you use the library’s computers, online resources and other facilities
- Help you find information relevant to your enquiry
- Provide space for you to read or study (where possible)
- Provide activities, events and book information to help you get the most out of the library
- Respond to your comments and suggestions within 7 working days
- Treat you with courtesy and respect
- Wear a name badge and identity lanyard
In return, we expect you to
- Be considerate to other library users
- Keep noise to a minimum, including the use of mobile telephones
- Keep the library environment pleasant by not eating or drinking unless on designated occasions; smoking is not permitted in the library
- Make appropriate and responsible use of the library’s computers
- Treat books, other library materials and facilities with care
- Be aware that young children remain the responsibility of their parents or care givers and should not be left unsupervised in the library
- Treat library staff and other library users with courtesy and respect
Library users who do not comply with the Code will be asked to leave the library. Serious or repeated misconduct will always be referred to the Police and may lead to formal action or criminal prosecution.
Up to: Libraries
Updated: 14 September 2021