Adult Social Care support for people with learning disabilities

Richmond Adult Social Care can support you to stay independent when you are not able to do so by yourself.  There are three main ways in which you might get support from adult social care:

  • By transitioning from receiving support from children’s services to adult social care when you become an adult. As you approach adulthood this will be discussed with you.
  • When you move to Richmond Council from another area and had support from adult social care before you moved. When you tell your social worker you are moving they will contact Richmond adult social care to arrange the support you need once you have moved.  More information on moving to Richmond and continuation of care
  • By contacting Richmond Adult Social Care

How Richmond Adult Social Care can support you

We will provide you with the advice, support and guidance to help you lead your life as you choose to. This is done by having a chat with you and finding out what things you like doing and what support you need. This chat can take place as a:

  • Video call with a social care advisor.  If you wish you can also have a family member or carer join you.
  • Or over the phone with a social care advisor.

After our chat, we will complete an assessment and agree together on what support is right you. This could include things like:

  • A carer or personal assistant that can support you
  • Asking friends or family to help you with certain tasks
  • Deciding on where you live and who you live with
  • Equipment and/or technology that can help you be independent
  • Going to activities and organisations to make friends or do things you enjoy.
  • Support for your carer

Updated: 14 September 2020