My Account

Make a formal representation against a Penalty Charge Notice

You can make a formal representation against a PCN, but only if you have received a Notice to Owner (or Enforcement Notice).

You will have 28 days to either pay the full penalty charge (at the full rate) or make a formal representation.

Make a formal representation

How to make a representation

If you believe a PCN should be cancelled the easiest way is to submit a formal representation online.

You will need:

  • The PCN number
  • Vehicle registration number

You can also make a formal representation by post. You will need to complete our PCN appeals form (pdf, 34 KB) and return to us at: Parking Services, PO Box 221, Twickenham TW1 3TL.

Equalities Act 2010 - should you have a disability and require a reasonable adjustment to complete either making a payment or a challenge against a PCN, please call 020 8891 1411.


We have provided answers to some frequently asked appeals questions, which you may find useful.

Grounds for making a representation

  1. You have never owned the vehicle.
  2. You were no longer the owner on the date the contravention occurred. You will have to provide the name and address of the person to whom the vehicle was sold together with proof of the date of the sale.
  3. You were not the owner until after that date. You will have to provide the name and address of the person from whom you purchased the vehicle together with proof of the purchase date.
  4. The contravention (wrongdoing) did not occur.
  5. The contravention occurred whilst the vehicle was under the control of someone without the owner's consent. You will have to supply the crime reference number and the name of the police station to which the theft of the vehicle was reported.
  6. The Traffic Order was invalid (for example, the Council did not comply with the statutory requirements when making the Order).
  7. The vehicle is owned by a vehicle-hire firm and the vehicle was on hire to someone under a formal hiring agreement. You will have to supply a copy of the hire agreement clearly showing the name and address of the person hiring the vehicle. This agreement must contain a statement of liability signed by the hirer and acknowledging the hirer's liability for payment of penalty charges.
  8. The penalty charge exceeded the amount applicable to the contravention (for example, the amount is more than you are legally liable to pay).
  9. There has been a procedural impropriety on the part of the Council.
  10. The Penalty Charge Notice has already been paid in full or has been paid at the reduced amount within the specified period.
  11. A civil enforcement officer was not prevented from serving the original Penalty Charge Notice by affixing it to the vehicle, or handing it to the owner or person in charge of the vehicle.
  12. Any other compelling reasons.

For more information read our Enforcement and Cancellation Protocol(pdf, 292KB).

What happens next

You will receive a response to your formal representation advising you of the outcome as soon as possible, but within 56 days.

If your representation is accepted, you will be notified that the Penalty Charge Notice has been cancelled and the case closed which will be confirmed in writing.

Rejected representations

If your representation is rejected, you will be sent a formal 'Notice of Rejection' and an appeal form, by post. You should now either pay the Penalty Charge Notice at the full rate, or make an appeal to an independent adjudicator.


If you are unhappy about the conduct of a Civil Enforcement Officer (CEO) you can follow our complaints procedure.

Updated: 04 January 2021

Stay up to date! Make sure you subscribe to our email updates.